It’s a smart move to begin by checking the immediate location of your tank (basement and garage) and any rooms near where your tank is stored. Look for signs of leakage, such as:
- There is a smell of oil in your home or coming from the ground.
- There is an oily rainbow sheen on water near the tank.
- You changed your heating system from oil to electric and you did not remove or empty the oil tank.
- A hidden tank has created a stain on your basement wall.
What you can do for inside tanks: basement and garage
- A concrete basement floor is a strong and stable base for your tank.
- If your oil tank is located inside a basement or garage, be sure it is vented properly to avoid the release of fumes inside your house.
- Be sure your tank is properly located to prevent damage by vehicles or household activities in your basement or garage.
- If your tank is properly installed, there should be no odours.
Back to top