Learn about your coverage

Your basic home insurance covers certain types of water damage. Since every property is different, you may also choose to customize your insurance by purchasing additional coverage.

Coverage by region

Need information about coverage in your region? Find out what's covered and what's not, and how to customize your coverage.



What your basic policy covers

As part of your basic home insurance, you’re covered if water damage to your property is the result of:


  • Heating system rupture
  • Plumbing system rupture
  • Sprinkling system rupture
  • Air conditioning system rupture
  • Escape of water from a waterbed, aquarium or appliances
  • Escape of water from a public watermain

Things to keep in mind:

  • Water damage coverage does not cover floods.
  • Insurance covers the result of water damage and not the source of the problem. For example, if your air conditioner leaks, you’ll be covered for the damage as the result of that leak and not the repair or replacement of the air conditioner.
  • A deductible may apply.

In case of discrepancy between the information provided on this website and your insurance policy, the wording in your insurance policy will prevail. Remember, the exclusions and limitations specified in your policy apply in all circumstances.

The information and examples provided in this section are intended as general information only. This does not constitute legal or insurance advice. In all cases, you should speak to an insurance advisor before acting. Your insurance policy contains limitations and restrictions which vary by province and may affect your coverage and/or determine whether or not benefits will be payable.