How to prevent water damage
Water damage to your property can cost you money – and sleep. To help prevent it from happening, it’s important to stay on top of home maintenance and get prompt professional repairs. Here are some additional tips to help keep your home safe from water damage.
In your house >
Sump pumps and sewers >
Water damage checklist
Prevent water damage with this step-by-step checklist.
- Turn off water at the main valve before you leave, and drain all the pipes and appliances.
- Check all eavestroughs and downspouts for debris or blockage.
- Arrange for someone to check the house and ensure the furnace hasn’t accidentally shut off, which could cause the pipes to burst.
- Install a water monitoring alarm system.
Renovating your basement?
- An accessible on the main drain of the building is one of the most efficient ways to prevent future sewer back-ups.
- Install ceramic tile and other impermeable finishes to minimize damage and make clean up easier.
- Choose furniture with legs that keep the fabric away from the floor.
- Consider area rugs instead of carpet for easy cleaning and replacement.
- Raise expensive electronic equipment such as computer towers and stereos off floor surfaces.
- Do not cover floor drains.