How to deal with water damage
Even when you take all the right precautions to prevent water damage, events can occur that are beyond your control. The important thing to remember is to act fast once you discover water damage in order to prevent it from getting worse.
What to do before calling your insurance company:
- Shut off any interior water sources.
- Stay away from electrical switches until your electrical system has been checked or the home power supply turned off.
- Avoid water-soaked ceilings in case of collapse.
- Puncture holes in bubbled ceilings to release excess water. Be ready with a bucket.
- Move household items to dry areas.
- Don’t handle items damaged by a sewer back-up.
- Remove excess water from fragile surfaces, such as wood and upholstery.
- Remove wet carpets to dry outside.
- Avoid using electrical appliances, such as vacuum cleaners, to clean up water. Mop up as much as possible.
- Prepare a list describing what has been damaged, destroyed or lost.