How has your Alberta auto insurance premium been determined?
< Back to main article list
Your individuality matters to us. Every driver is unique and we have improved our Alberta rating program to better reflect this. Just as your insurance protection can be tailored to your needs, so too will premiums reflect you as an individual driver.
Elements that are taken into consideration in Alberta:
- Where you live
- The car you drive
- The number of drivers in your household
- Your age, gender and marital status
- The number of years you have been licensed to drive
- For new drivers – if you completed a driver training course
- The number of convictions and licence suspensions in the last 3 years
- The number of accidents you have been at-fault for in the last 6 years
- The number of comprehensive claims you have had in the last 3 years
- The number of kilometers you drive per year and the breakdown (pleasure vs. commute vs. business)
- The amount of protection (such as third-party liability at 1 million vs. 2 million) and deductible you choose
To find out more about the Alberta rate regulations and to determine your premium under the Alberta Grid Rating Program, view the Auto Insurance Grid Rate Calculator.
There are also additional ways you can lower the premium on your auto insurance. Check out 6 ways to save on auto insurance.
back to Your auto premiums demystified